Pre-School in Niger State
Jofegan International School
Jofegan International School Pre-School is a well structured environment for children from the ages of 18 months to 5 years. We use the Montessori approach to teaching and learning in a “prepared environment” utilising its principles and resources designed to meet the peculiar needs of every child. All of our programs are child centered and dedicated to helping each child develop independence, self esteem, respect and a lifelong love of learning facilitated with the use of didactic materials.
The Pre-School is in 4-year groups:
Our curriculum is broken into five areas:
- The Practical Life Exercises: For children, everyday routines and practices of life like preparing food, dressing, cleaning, habitual courtesies, and more are new, exciting and joyous challenges. One of the hallmarks of the Montessori Method is that it takes full advantage of the child’s motivation to learn these things at a very young age. The practical life curriculum in Montessori provides a scope and sequence for these everyday routines and practices.Practical life in Montessori develops motor control and coordination, develops independence, concentration, and builds a sense of responsibility. These exercises aim to bridge the gap between home and school and aid the child in that transition.
- Sensorial Education: Sensorial activities are used in Montessori learning to help children in discrimination and order. They help children become aware of details through, first, strongly contrasted sensations (red vs. blue) and then, through variously graded sensations (various shades of blue). The materials isolate a single quality: colour, weight, shape, texture, size, sound, smell, etc., for children to train their focus. It broadens and refines a child’s senses, perception and awareness.
- Mathematics: Early Mathematics is designed to transform ideas into actions, using concrete learning materials, resulting in making abstract concepts clearer to the learner. These experiences explore the underlying fundamentals of algebra, geometry, logic and statistics, plus operational principles, such as addition, multiplication, division and subtraction.
- Language: With Montessori Method of teaching, basic writing, reading, listening and speaking skills are developed. The phonic method of learning to read alphabets produces understanding because a child first learns the phonic sound of each letter. With the help of language materials, the child automatically knows how to hold the pencil. Language experiences encourage children to master and blend sounds to build words, instead of the traditional memorization of “sight words.” This gives children the tools to read at a higher level.
- Cultural Studies: The Montessori Cultural Studies curriculum provides children with an opportunity to explore the larger world. Here the child is introduced to Zoology, Botany, History, Geography, Science, Music, Art and Peace Education. With the use of materials, the children learn about the universe and nurture an interest in observing nature and discovering more about the world around them. Children learn to appreciate their culture, other cultures and the world at large.
Extra-curricular Activities (Sports/Clubs)
This is an integral part of our school. It is an inclusion of elective programs; that stimulate children and allow them to learn while playing and exploring creative outlets that will help them advance in the future. These opportunities go beyond the core Montessori Curriculum, giving children the chance to further expand their minds, energize their bodies, and build their confidence.
Weekly extracurricular classes and activities Additional fees apply classes vary by age. Discover opportunities such as:
- Martial Arts
- Chess and Scrabble
- Cheer Leading
Homework goes home every day and returned back the next day. This is to maintain a high standard. Parents are encouraged to support their child/ward in this area.
Pre-School in Niger State